University of Wisconsin-Madison, Division of Extension will be hosting a Cattle Feeders Workshop Series slated for February 15th, 2023. The Annual UW Extension Cattle Feeders Workshop contains information for beef and dairy cattle feeders/finishers, and related allied industries. Attending the workshop will also earn people who are BQA certified one continuing education credit towards their next re-certification.
Changes to antibiotic use and availability, updates on implant use, market outlooks for the coming year and how stockmanship and handling facilities can impact animal performance will be presented to help cattle feeders be better prepared for the upcoming year.
Presenters and topics are as follows:
- UW-Madison, Division of Extension Livestock Educators, Sandy Stuttgen, Amanda Cauffman, or Carolyn Ihde (depending on location) will present an overview of the coming rule changes for purchasing antibiotics and how a valid veterinary client patient relationship (VCPR) can reduce problems with those changes;
- Dr. Dan Thomson, Iowa State University will present an update on implant labels and management, via a recorded presentation;
- Dr. Brenda Boetal, UW-Madison Extension Livestock and Grain Market Specialist will provide a review of a 2023 market outlook for livestock and grains;
- Bill Halfman, UW Madison Extension Beef Outreach Specialist, will present information on stockmanship and handling facilities considerations
Following are the dates, locations, and county extension offices for registering for each location. RSVP is required by February 6. We may cancel due to low enrollment, however, we will call those who have registered. Please contact the host county Extension Office for that specific location for more information.
February 15th, 2023 – Monroe
- Monroe, 1:45 p.m. registration, program begins at 2:00 p.m. Green County Justice Center, 2841 6th St. Monroe.
- RSVP by February 6 by calling Green County UW Extension, 608-328-9440. For more information view the 2023 Cattle Feeders Flyer, Monroe.
February 15th, 2023 – Lancaster
- Lancaster, 6:00 p.m. registration, program begins at 6:30 p.m. Grant County Youth and Ag Center, 916 East Elm St. Lancaster. There will be a $10 registration fee collected at the door with a meal sponsored by the Grant County Cattleman’s.
- RSVP by February 6 by calling Grant County UW Extension, 608-723-2125. For more information, view the 2023 Cattle Feeders Flyer, Lancaster.